People pay good money to have a professional designer come into their home and tell them what color to paint the walls, where to hang pieces of art, and how to arrange their furniture. “Design” shows are all the rage right now on TV. What would you pay for a “designer” to come into your home and design your marriage? If you can get marriage advice from the One who designed it, would you listen? Let’s consider a few things about how God designed a Christian marriage to be:
- God intended marriage to be between a man and a woman (Genesis 2:24).
- God intended to be part of your marriage (Eph. 5:23)
- Husbands are to love their wives sacrificially. They are to loves their wives as their own. Take care of them, nurture them, protect them, and sanctify them (Eph. 5:25-28; 1 Pet. 3:7)
- Wives are to submit to their husbands. Respect and love them as the head of their house (Eph. 5:24; Titus 2:4).
- Wives are commanded to be good homemakers, to love their children and husband, and be obedient so the word of God is not blasphemed (Titus 2:4-5).
- God intended for husband and wife to work as a team (Gen. 2:18).
- We are not to separate what God has brought together (Mark 10:9).
Will hard times come? Sure. No marriage is perfect. There are going to be arguments, and there will be times where you don’t get along. However, by following the plan that God has set in place, your marriage can and will succeed. God designed marriage to be a good thing. When God saw that man was alone in the Garden of Eden, He said, “It is not good that man should be alone” (Gen. 2:18). Everything else that God had created was good. But man being alone was not.
People listen to home designers and take their advice all the time. When following the Master Designers plan for marriage, you will be set up to succeed. Max Lucado once said, “God created marriage. No government subcommittee envisioned it. No social organization developed it. Marriage was conceived and born in the mind of God.”
- “Five Love Languages”
– Gary Chapman
- “Love and Respect”
– Emmerson Eggerichs
- “The Love Dare”
– Based on Fireproof
– Henry Cloud & John Townsend
- “Men are From Mars, Women are from Venus”
– John Gray
- “Point Man”
– Steve Farrar
- “Loving Your Wife as Christ Loves the Church”
– Larry E. McCall
- “A Woman of Essence”
– Cynthia Smalls
- “The Excellent Wife”
– Martha Peace